I felt anxious all the time in college. During meals, walking on campus, during class, socializing with friends, going to sleep, waking up-I was always caught up in my anxious thoughts. I was stressed out all the time and as a result, didn’t produce the best work possible, didn’t have much fun, and was just…not that happy.
I know you can relate.
Well! Today you’re going to learn a super simple, FREE, fun tool to help you calm down, get your work done, and feel happy:
Use a mantra.
I know, I know, I talk about mantras a lot. But that’s because they’re bomb. Here’s why:
Mantras are private. You can say your mantra aloud, whisper it to yourself, or think it in your mind. Super covert. Nobody will know that you’re using one; they’ll just notice how calm, productive, and happy you are.
Mantras are portable. You can take your mantra wherever you go-on campus, in class, at work, while falling asleep, getting ready for the day, traveling, ANYWHERE. Whenever and wherever you need to calm down and feel more peace, your mantra will be there for you.
Mantras are simple, but pack a punch. Using a mantra doesn’t require anything fancy or involved. It just requires a few seconds of focus while maybe taking a deep breath or two. But as soon as you use your mantra, you’ll feel an instant lift. You’ll feel relief right away.
Here are some of my favorite mantras to get you started.
- The person next to me isn’t attainable. Only my best self is attainable. (Here’s what this means to me).
- I love my food; my food loves me. From Gabrielle Bernstein.
- I love my job/workload/classmates/exams; my job/workload/classmates/exams love me. (A variation on the above mantra).
- I am present.
- There is a way through every block. From Gabby.
- I am being guided.
- Peace begins with me. From Gabby.
- I am safe.
- There is no “normal.” From Amanda Holstein.
- Nothing is permanent. From Amanda Holstein.
Pick one and use it today! Whenever you feel anxious, overwhelmed, or obsessive about something, take a deep breath and say your mantra to yourself. You WILL feel better.