Next month, I’m attending an out-of-state wedding where I only know the bride and groom. I feel a mix of excitement (to travel, yay!) and nervousness (to hover awkwardly near people and pretend to be part of their conversation), so I want to feel extra confident and hot that day, from the inside out.
Here’s how I would’ve prepared myself for the wedding during my years of body/food chaos:
- Cut out foods like sugar, carbs, snacks, etc.
- Drastically increase my frequency of high-intensity workouts.
- Perhaps a juice cleanse
- Make a list of all of the foods I’m going to eat once I get back from the wedding…and dream about said list all day and night.
- Spend my time researching foods that burn fast quickly
- Drink tons of water so I could pee all the time and lose water weight
Hmm and guess how all of that stuff would’ve gotten me? Sleep-deprived, binge eating, feelings of hopelessness and desperation, loss of focus at work, not going out and having fun with friends, a messed up stomach, bloating, probably a cold…and feeling totally gross and fat at the wedding!
Now that I’ve made peace with food and body…here’s how I’m preparing for the wedding so that I look and feel hot:
- Stick to a schedule of going to bed and waking up at the same time every day so that my energy is abundant and even, and I have time to do the things I want to do.
- Eat three full meals a day, plus snacks. My body feels better when I don’t skip lunch (or just eat chips and salsa for lunch), and when I don’t wait to eat until I’m absolutely starving.
- Treat myself to an outfit that flatters my body and makes me feel beautiful. I’m working on that with Stitchfix!
- Meditate every day. Meditation connects me to my body and helps me release my emotions, which calms me down.
- Do some form of movement every day, a mix of high- and low-intensity workouts/activities. I feel healthier and hotter when I work out more often, so moving my body for at least 15 mins a day will help me sustain that feeling.
- Keeping stress to a minimum. Reminder: stress (which dieting creates) lowers your immune system.
What’s the difference between how I would have prepared for this wedding before and how I’m preparing now? I’m focusing on how I want to feel instead of how my body looks, because when I feel my best, my body looks its best.
If you have an event that you want to look hot for, use my second list as inspiration. Create your own set of foods, activities, routines, etc. that make you feel great!